What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a way to explore new places as well as places you have been to dozens of times. At its heart, geocaching is a treasure hunt that you get to share with fellow travelers. Geocaching is so popular that there are millions of caches hidden around the world.
To look for geocaches, you sign up for a free account and begin looking for specific caches around your area. Each time you’re looking for a cache, you’ll be on the hunt for something unique. No two caches look the same. Not only that, but caches vary in difficulty level too.
Why You Should Give Geocaching a Try
When you find the cache, you’ll sign the little log book and trade knick-knacks with whatever options you have in the cache. You’ll also be able to log your find on the geocache website. Then, you’ll put the cache back where you found it.
Geocaching is a fantastic way to go on an adventure anywhere you may be. It helps you take time to enjoy the environment around you because you are forced to slow down, so you do not miss a cache.
Geocaching also connects you to fellow adventurers that are into the same activities as you. Through this common ground, you can find your place within a community of like-minded, adventurous people.
But perhaps the biggest reason you should give Geocaching a try is that it is an absolute blast. You’ll probably begin to feel that familiar spark of curiosity and adventure you felt as a child, and when geocachers bring their kids, they can harness their children’s creative and curious energy into this fabulous activity.
How to Sign Up for Geocaching
If this sounds like a whole lot of fun, and you’re excited to get started, here is the process to begin.
- Make an account on the official geocaching website. You can create a unique account with an email and password, or you could sign up with Google, Facebook, or Apple.
- Next, you’ll create a username for yourself and click finish.
- If you would prefer, you can create an account through the official geocaching app.
- Next, use the app to navigate toward a geocache. Be sure you bring a pen and a knick-knack with you.
- After discovering your cache, fill out the logbook with your name and date. Then, trade your knick-knacks with something in the cache, place the cache back where it had been, and then log that experience online.
Geocaching in Ramsey Park in Redwood Falls, MN
Throughout Ramsey Park, there are many different caches just waiting to be discovered. When someone takes the time to create a cache and register it, that cache will appear on the official website for geocaching. With so much to love about this fantastic activity and many cool caches waiting to be found, it is no wonder that more adventurers are starting to become geocachers. Geocaching is something that the whole family can fall in love with together. So get out there, create an account, locate a cache target, and happy searching!
Ready to plan your visit?
A day of adventure is waiting for you at Ramsey Park!